Diary of Catch Reports

The aim of this blog is to give an insight into the fishing available on and around the Isle of Wight for both visiting and resident anglers alike.
It's free to view, informative and I hope - inspiring! Right click the link, add to favourites and keep up to speed with wightwaterangling.
Enjoy!

Sunday 6 July 2014

Norway - Day 6 - Last Day

 Last day today and the weather was even better - hotter than yesterday and more horse flies too! The sea was like a mirror holding a reflection of the mountains......everyone was eager to get out and make the most of our last day on the water.


We soon got underway soaking up the scenery with the usual stop to catch a bit of bait before heading out in search of some fish in deeper water. Mike proved that you don't necessarily need to head far by pulling in a 20lb+ Cod on feathers meant for the small Coalies!




With enough dead baits in the bucket for the Halibut, we made our usual journey out down through the Fjords. The boat rota today had Dale, Dave and myself on one while Mike, Brian and Halibut Queen - Ronnie took the other.


 We took advantage of the calm conditions and headed out a little further today to find some deeper water and try some new ground. Small Cod and Torsk were the first to hit the pirks and lures before Dave pulled up the very first Red Fish of the trip....very colourful and also good eating!


On the same drift line just behind us, Mike also shouted across that he'd caught a big Goldfish!


They were the only two Red's we found but there was plenty of other fish to keep us busy for the first part of the day. 




I really wanted to get a big Cod but had to make do with another one of 21lb....that big one will have to wait until next time!


The better fish didn't feed for long and after a good concerted effort to find those bigger Cod we all agreed to head in and concentrate on the Halibut. Far from ideal conditions with not a breath of wind, but we managed to find a slight breeze up against some cliffs where Dave and I had some success on Day 2. We worked hard and the Wolfish were relentless with the deadbaits, so I reeled mine in and just concentrated on working my lure. It payed off not long after when my rod started to load with the weight of a fish...I kept winding until the fish wrenched back and sure enough - Halibut on!

,


I did the same thing on the next drift with another good fish after it followed my lure plucking and nipping at it for a good 50 metres before finally committing to eat it.


 Dale and Dave didn't miss a trick and they to focused their efforts on the lures. I dropped another fish on the third drift while Dave connected with our third of the day...




 The next drift just produced a couple more Wolfies and then we lost the little breeze that we did have. We fished on for another hour but those Halibut had switched off.
With the day drawing to a close we all agreed to spend some time back at Dab Bay - I was looking forward to this as I hadn't yet been!
The big rods were replaced with light spinning rods with small strips of Coalfish and Isome worms for bait. You could see the bottom in Dab Bay and as we drifted through it was great fun to watch dabs following the baits before pouncing on them. I found myself striking at the fish before I'd had a bite.....I could of spent a whole day here!!



 
It was a personal best every drop...these Dab's were all specimen fish and I finished up with the best one at 1lb 15oz!!!


 With the day almost done there was time for just one last drift on the Halibut before sprinting back to the dock at high speed on a glassy looking sea - check out the Go Pro video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k8wkjd8zsI  and turn the sound up ;-)


What can I say - Awesome week, fishing, company, food and scenery. Would I go again?......next August booked already ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment